Whether it os young boys or older male, enlarged breasts are a common problem. When the breast tissue glands get swelled up, it makes the breasts enlarged in males. This can cause pain and physical discomfort. But other than that, it is more of an embarrassment for men, and thus can reduce one self-confidence in public. This is the reason one should choose to consult a doctor and get gynecomastia operation as soon as possible.
What causes gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is common and can be caused due to various factors. Enlarged breasts glands are caused because of the estrogen (the female sex hormone). When in men the estrogen levels rise and testosterone levels decrease, it can cause gynecomastia. It can be seen in newborn babies, but it can go away after a few weeks. But when men get older, then also testosterone production goes low and that can be gynecomastia in them. Some of the other reasons behind gynecomastia are:
- Alcohol abuse
- Tumors of testes
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Radiotherapy of testicles
- Excessive use of steroids or drugs
- Using too much of lavender and tea tree oil infused herbal products
Symptoms of gynecomastia
Some of the major symptoms of gynecomastia include:
- Painful and tender nipples and breasts
- Enlaremngst of with one of the breasts or both of them. The growth can be either erratic or uniform and it can be either firm or rubbery.
- Breats may get red in color, hot to touch, and painful. It can also be complemented with fever and chills. This is the most case when gynecomastia is caused due to breast abscess.
- In young boys, gynecomastia can cause small bud-like outgrowths (either in one or in both the breasts). This usually goes on its own and tends to happen during puberty.
When young, gynecomastia can be due to hormonal changes that go away after some time on its own. But in the case of older males, there might be a requirement to see a specialist and get the gynecomastia treated in time. Most of the time doctors tend to give medications to treat the condition. But, if the medicines do not work, then there might be a requirement to undergo gynecomastia operation.
To reduce enlarged breasts, surgeons tend to remove either the breast glands or the fat cells. Fat cells are removed using liposuction and the breast glands are removed by making an incision. Either one type of surgery is used or both depending on how large the breasts are.
Choosing a clinic
Some of the things that should be kept in mind while choosing a gynecomastia clinic are:
- Always compare a few doctors before picking one.
- Read and research the reviews and testimonials of the past patients to get an idea about their treatment.
- Check if the clinic has the latest technology for diagnosis and treatment.
- See if the doctor is communicative and free talk so that one shares their problems without any inhibition.
Finding the right clinic and getting the gynecomastia diagnosed at the right time will not only help in treating the problem in time, but it will also help in increasing one’s self-confidence. One should invest time to find the right surgeon who can openly tell one about the options and conditions without any issues.